#HashTag Activism


This week, I learned a new term called "hashtag activism". I have complicated feelings about this because I can see how it can quickly become performative and a trend, however I do believe that hashtag activism is a great way to make others aware of what is happening not only in the US, but also in the world. For instance, when tension between Israel and Palestine came to a head a couple years ago, I was unfamiliar with the conflict until I saw it trending on Twitter. Seeing "#FreePalestine" led me to doing my own research and ask my friends questions to better understand what was going on and the history behind the conflict. 

This allowed me to become more knowledgeable about an international conflict, and led to me developing my own feelings about what was happening. Knowledge can lead to action, therefore I think hashtag activism plays a pivotal role in informing, but it should not stop there.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this because I learned something new too! Hashtag activism can definitely feel performative, but it can also spark curiosity and lead people to learn more. It really makes me wonder what activism will look like in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts