I Think This Class is Changing Mind...
One of my first posts in this class was me discussing my disdain for social media, and how think it has more downsides than upsides. As the semester has progress, I am starting to see more positives in social media use.
The community norms assignment opened my eyes to how different platforms can be used to form communities that help others connect and learn about various things. Those communities can be focused on one topic, or can be focused on multiple. This week's topics showed me how these platforms and communities can also be used for performance support and professional development, i.e teachergram. Learning about network knowledge activities, also showed me just how intentional users can be and should be online if they want to use these platforms for educational purposes. We all have the power to collect, curate, consumer and share whatever we think is important and beneficial.
Like many things, social media is what you make it. It's clear that if users have the desire to learn using these platforms, they just have to be intentional. Intentional about how they follow, the tags they view, the information they collect, and etc.

I love how you connected your learning throughout the semester. I also agree that social media and online platforms are never entirely good or bad. Learning through such tools really depends on how we choose to use them and for what purposes.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with 'social media is what you make it'. Some folks need a 'cleanse' at times, but I feel like I can get that myself without having to be abstinent from it by just purging some of my socials. As in, unfollowing content that isn't beneficial to me and training an algorithm that makes me feel good and productive.
ReplyDeleteThe crucial part about this class is that we have been guided wonderfully by Dr. Dennen. It has been a learning journey for me, too, and I do not think that I would have ever understood Web 2.0 to this extent without the challenges of this class.
ReplyDelete